Emergency Assistance for Human Rights Defenders
Euro-Mediterranean Foundation of Support to Human Rights Defenders (EMHRF)
Primary Website: http://www.emhrf.org/en/grants.php
Types of Assistance:
1) Emergency, tangible and short-term support is provided to human rights defenders facing difficulties or at risk as a result of their activities in the region.
2) Strategic support is provided to small human rights organizations, groups and defenders by reinforcing their operations and human capacities in order to enable them to create structures or implement innovative activities effectively in the region.
Grants typically cover $1,000 to $30,000 Euros and last 12-18 months (max $5,000 for emergency funding) .
Qualifications: Human rights defenders operating in the following countries: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Syria, and Palestine. Human rights defenders may include development activists and writers on a case-by-case basis. More information can be found at http://www.emhrf.org/en/eligibilitycriteria.php.
Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights – Rapid Response Grantmaking
Primary Website: http://urgentactionfund.org/
Types of Assistance: 72 hour rapid response of up to $5,000 USD to help activists take advantage of unexpected opportunities or to protect themselves when faced with immediate danger.
Qualifications: Women human right’s defenders
Agir Ensemble Pour Les Droits de l’Homme
Primary Website: http://www.aedh.org/agir/
Types of Assistance: Emergency fund for defenders of human rights, including evacuation aid, relocation assistance, legal assistance, medical aid and intervention with authorities.
Qualifications: human rights defenders
Freedom House Lifeline
Primary Website: http://www.freedomhouse.org/
Types of Assistance:
1) The Lifeline Embattled CSO Assistance Fund – financial assistance and advocacy support to human rights civil society organizations that are under threat or attack.http://www.freedomhouse.org/program/lifeline
2) Dignity for All: LGBTI Assistance Program – financial, advocacy and security assistance to human rights defenders and civil society organizations that are under attack because of their work for LGBTI human rights. http://www.freedomhouse.org/program/dignity-all-lgbti-assistance-program
Qualifications: Human rights organizations (two or more activists; doesn’t have to be registered) under threat who need emergency, finite assistance.
To Apply: Email email@example.com .
Frontline Defenders Emergency Support
Primary Website: English http://www.frontlinedefenders.org/
Types of Assistance:
1) 24 hours/day support for human rights defenders in Arabic, English, French, Russian or Spanish. Assistance for immediate risk includes: faxed or phoned appeals to the relevant authorities, raising the case through the EU or individual government representatives, practical help with temporary relocation, assistance with medical or legal expenses. http://www.frontlinedefenders.org/emergency
2) Security Grants Program – financial assistance to improve the physical security of an organization or its human rights defenders (maximum 6,000 Euros). http://www.frontlinedefenders.org/security-grants-programme
Qualifications: Human rights defenders and their organizations; all countries.
To Apply: https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/secure/comment.en.html OR +353 (0) 1 21 00 489 OR skype “front-line-emergency”
European Commission on Democracy and Human Rights Small Grants
Primary Website: http://www.eidhr.eu/side-panels/human-rights-defenders/small-grants
Types of Assistance: Up to 10,000 Euros urgent support for a wide variety of purposes, including to organizations in dire financial situations.
Qualifications: Human rights defenders (individuals or organizations).
To Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of York Center for Applied Human Rights – Protective Fellowship Scheme for Human Rights Defenders at Risk
Primary Website: http://www.york.ac.uk/cahr/defenders/protective-fellowship/
Types of Assistance: 3-6 month fellowship for respite, training and experience sharing (10 fellows per year) in the UK
Qualifications: human rights defenders who face risk in their working environment
To Apply: http://www.york.ac.uk/cahr/defenders/protective-fellowship/#tab-2 (applications must be made through organizations, not as individuals)
Colby College – Oak Fellowship
Primary Website: http://web.colby.edu/oak/
Types of Assistance: full academic year fellowship for teaching and research in the United States (all expenses paid).
Qualifications: human rights practitioners involved in on-the-ground work at personal risk to themselves (N.B. looking for gender and human rights activist for 2014)
Emergency Assistance for Writers, Scholars and Journalists
PEN American Writer’s Emergency Fund
Primary Website: http://www.pen.org/writers-emergency-fund
Types of Assistance: Emergency financial crisis; not to be used for research.
Qualifications: Those whose primary professional occupation is writing.
To Apply: English http://www.pen.org/writers-emergency-fund
N.B. See website for deadline.
Scholars at Risk Network
Primary Website: http://scholarsatrisk.nyu.edu/
Types of Assistance: 1-12 month opportunities for teaching, research, or graduate study for scholars at risk, as well as opportunities for scholarships for all types of scholars.
Qualifications: Scholars receive threats to life, liberty or academic career, including those that have left their home countries because of these threats.
To Apply: English http://scholarsatrisk.nyu.edu/At-Risk-Scholars/Apply-for-Assistance.php
Scholars Rescue Fund
Primary Website: http://www.scholarrescuefund.org/pages/intro.php
Types of Assistance: Fellowships for work at host institutions in any country. (maximum grant $25,000 USDs); three application rounds per year; emergency funds also available.
Qualifications: Established professor, researcher or public intellectuals facing severe and targeted threats; preferably those with a PhD and superior academic accomplishments. No limits on country of origin or field of expertise.
Rory Peck Trust
Primary Website: https://rorypecktrust.org/freelance-assistance/Assistance-Grants
Types of Assistance: Financial assistance, amounts vary
Qualifications: freelance journalists and their families who are under threat, exiled, imprisoned or injured.
To Apply: + 44 (0) 20 3219 7860 or email@example.com
International Federation of Journalists – Safety Fund
Primary Website: http://www.ifj.org/en/pages/safety-fund
Types of Assistance: Financial relief to individual journalists in danger.
Media Legal Defense Initiative
Primary Website: http://www.mediadefence.org/
Types of Assistance: financial assistance for legal representation
Qualifications: Bloggers and online media in South and Southeast Asia at risk for imprisonment, bankruptcy, closing, censorship etc.
International Cities of Refuge Network
Primary Website: http://www.icorn.org/index.php
Types of Assistance: provides physical safety and economic security for a two year fixed period
Qualifications: any writer (novelists, non-fiction writers, playwrights, poets, editors, translators, publishers, journalists and cartoonists) threatened or persecuted for expressing their opinions professionally or personally
- Developing a model national law to protect human rights defenders – major project by the ISHR (thoolen.wordpress.com)
- Special Issue on Human Rights Defenders of the OUP Journal of Human Rights Practice (thoolen.wordpress.com)
- More awards for human rights defenders (thezimbabwean.co)
- Gulf Human Rights Center Condemns Attempted Assassination of Bin Amer, Attacking Ala’a Alkhiwani, and Burn of Ashrea & Alola Papers (ahmedsaifhashedhashem.wordpress.com)
- Go beyond mere condemnation, human rights defenders tell African Commission (frontpageinternational.wordpress.com)
- ‘Women human rights defenders deserve our protection’, says Nobel Laureate Jody Williams (womennewsnetwork.net)